You can connect your web shop to Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) in a simple way. This Google service allows you to analyze search results from your website. You can create the link as follows:
- Sign up for this service at https://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/#?modal_active=none
- Log in or create a new account.
- The middle section will show your connected sites (this section is still empty at this point). Click ‘Add a property’, enter your web shop’s URL in the box, and click ‘Continue’.
- Click the ‘Alternative methods’ tab and select the first option, ‘Add a meta tag to your site’s home page’.
- You will then see an HTML code containing the content section, for example:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="TwPDKGCYajbv8UeXShdt8ZmDbdmg2G4A5WscESwmh" />
Copy the content code only (in this example: TwPDKGCYajbv8UeXShdt8ZmDbdmg2G4A5WscESwmh) and paste it in your maintenance tool at Starting point > My web shop > Settings > Search engines & statistics > Google > Google Webmaster Tools.
- Click ‘Verify’. Please note that the web shop must be active (Google cannot verify sites that are offline).
Please make sure that you only enter the number and not the entire HTML code submitted by Google.
You are now able to use the tool. Read Connecting a sitemap to Google Webmaster for information about adding sitemaps. Refer to Google Analytics for instructions about connecting to Google Analytics (a comprehensive statistics program).